Sunday, October 01, 2006

Oh! So many things



Shawls: a Blessing:
I have been slightly worried about the fact that I had no shawls. If I had a request, I would have to reach out across the country because my larder
was bare. But the blessings came forth this weekend. These are the shawls that were donated by the machine knitters at Rocking Horse Farms.The patterns and designs are done in the patterns of three. They are so beautiful.




I finished the navy fun fur and ribbon one this week and then this weekend I finished the pink fun fur one.


This weekend I was
at the Yarn Garage and Carol was so nice to knit two shawls and bring them in to the store. The Yarn Garage is a drop off point for Sheila's Shawls.

Past Activities
The Northwoods Fiber retreat happened two Saturdays( Sept. 23) ago. I was there and helped Steven set up, visited with many of the participants and stayed long enough to help him set up his presentation. This is where I failed. I always seem to forget the camera. I think about it before I go. I think about it in the car and remember it is at home. I also say stupid stuff to myself as others take pictures at the conferences and retreats. I am forever asking people to send me copies of there pictures. There were several shops represented and the participants learned nal binding and fiber dying as well as style and design presented by Steven, The "Glitter Knitter". Jennie, the Potter, was there. A good time was had by all. The killer of the night was, we were 70 miles from home. I went home for a dinner date, leaving South Haven at 6:00 PM. At about 8:30 PM Steven calls my cell phone and asks where his car keys are? Yikes, they are in my pants pocket in the Twin Cities. I moved his car earlier that day and put the keys in my pocket. Sooo... I had to drive 140 miles additional round trip to give Steven his keys.

Last Thursday, September I presented Sheila's Shawls at The September seminar at Rocking Horse Farms in St. Cloud.



I am wearing my scharf and displaying a simple rectangle garter stitch shawl that was made at school.

Here is Carol and another participant displaying several of the machine knit shawls that they made, did a show and tell, and then donated 6 shawls to Sheila' Shawls.


Aren't they lovely? The textures are so pretty and it is a nice light weight.

Here I am, wearing my scharf (shawl / scarf) looking over the shoulder of a participant as she casts on a hand knit shawl for Sheila's Shawls.

Here is Skip adding a few rows to the hand knit Sheila's Shawl.

This is how far they got on Thursday night. By Saturday when I went back, they were considerably farther and I even added several rows.

This is called a Shawl in Process. It becomes a community shawl because everyone that comes into the store adds a row, rows, or even a few stitches. All of it is done with love and care for the healer of domestic violence.
Rocking Horse farms has become a drop off site for Sheila's Shawls. They are currently hosting Bethany, the Silent Witness, for the month of October, promoting Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Jason, from Rocking Horse Farms was kind enough to write:
Hello friends, Day 1 of our Seminar is over and I felt compelled to
write a quick note about the excellent presentation we had on
Thursday night. Renee Youngberg, National Coordinator of the Sheila's
Shawls program (for Silent Witness) talked about her experiences
working with the program that provides shawls or scarves to persons
affected by domestic violence. She shared some stories about people
who received the shawls and the "thank you" letters that resulted.

Not only did we hear about the program, but she showed some hand-knit
samples that people really loved, including the "SCHARF" that she was
wearing herself. The Scharf is a combination scarf/shawl that she
hand crocheted using artistic yarns. As she continued, several of the
machine knitters got excited about translating one of the hand knit
patterns for the machine. The evening continued with several others
showing Prayer Shawls they had knit, and we were able to thank Renee
for her presentation by donating more than a half-dozen shawls to the
program.

Rocking Horse Farm will now serve as a drop-off point for the
Sheila's Shawls program. (There are coordinators and drop off points
in many other states, too...) Anyone can bring knit, woven, felted,
or crocheted shawls to a drop off point. They also love to receive
sewn items, such as a polar fleece shawl Renee told us about. It's a
great opportunity for machine embroidery, too.
Personal projects
Usually I don't knit for myself. Here are the two projects I have kept.

The one on the left is Aanarondack pheasant rayon yarn and chenille. I did it in the Faroese Shawl pattern, Fenna Shawl by Myrna Stahman. I really enjoy it. It is comfortable and practical. The one on the right is the infamous Scharf. Shawl/ scarf crochet pattern that was designed by Steven Berg (aka The Glitter Knitter) and myself. It is not practical just glitzy and fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger AsKatKnits said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I will have to find the book and look at the patterns. From one Lutheran to another - Hello! Have an awesome Monday!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home